The first hostel was established in Roberts Avenue, Horsham in 1949 and operated at that location until 1978 when a 60 bed hostel was opened in the Sunnyside area of Horsham. 24 Independent Living Units were added to the village over a period of time. In 1997 the Federal Government introduced the Aged Care Act which included a standardised building code providing for minimum building standards to be met by the year 2008. The 60 bed hostel did not meet those standards and the Board of Management was placed in the position of having to decide that the only option available was to construct a new facility and demolish the existing facility.
A new 75 bed facility was completed in November 2004 and this is called Trinity Manor. A further 42 independent living units were constructed to provide an Ageing in Place facility within a surrounding community of retirees. Works commenced on the independent living units in August 2006 with all works completed in August 2007 including a multi-purpose community centre.
To be the service of choice for our ageing community enabling residents to enjoy the highest quality care in a homely and Christian environment
Our mission is to support ageing citizens, through the provision of high quality care services and enriching lifestyle in a culture of Christian values. Sunnyside Lutheran Retirement Village is an arm of the Lutheran Church of Australia (Victorian District). Worship, Nurture, Fellowship, Justice (Service) and Witness are all attributes of the Christian ethos which underpins the philosophy and values that Sunnyside Lutheran Retirement Village stade monstrate in carrying out their respective roles of caring for the aged.